Thematic Route: The Cultural Heritage Route
Name of the Touristic Attraction: Tudor Vladimirescu’s „Cula” (Tudor Vladimirescu’s Fortified House)
Location: in Cerneți Village, Șimian Commune, Mehedinți County. Tudor Vladimirescu’s „Cula” is located on “Gârdanului” Hill. Tudor’s Cula can be reached through Cerneți, located on Topolnița River’s Valley, about 1 km away from Drobeta Turnu Severin. The access to Cerneti can be made from the road connecting Tg. Jiu by Dr. Tr. Severin, DJ607A.
Description: The construction consists of the building itself with one level and a defense tower located in the south-east, which communicates with the fortified house through a corridor. Along with the „cula”, there were other dependencies, which today are no longer preserved. The „cula” was built of brick and wood. The ground floor consists of a large cellar, a room and the staircase that ends with a verandah. The 1st floor has a verandah with ten massive brick columns, three chambers and a narrow, long corridor at the end of which is a toilet or a “latrine”, as it used to be called. On the ground floor and the 1st floor there are several shooting gates (ramparts). The windows were enlarged after the fortified house lost its defense function. The ceilings of the ground floor are vaulted, while the ceilings of the 1st floor are made of wood. In 1967, the buiding was arranged as a museum dedicated to Tudor Vladimirescu, in which there were exposed several objects and personal documents of the Romanian Revolutionary. The museum functioned until 1977.
Legend/ Story/ Impressions/ Recommendations: According to historical documents, this „cula” was built in 1800 by Tudor Vladimirescu, after the Turkish army burnt Cerneti Village. It is said about Tudor Vladimirescu’s Cula in Cerneti that it is the place where the idea of the Revolution of 1821 was born. Cula is a fortified building, specific to Oltenia area, with a high ground floor and a solid entrance door. The name derives from the Turkish word “zkúle” which means tower. They were built by boyars on their estates in Oltenia to defend themselves from the invasions of the Turkish armies (adallies, cirjalii, pazvangii) coming from the Danube. The floor of Tudor Vladimirescu’s room was provided with rooms for living, but also with shooting places, because at that time Pasha from Vidin rebelled against the Ottoman Empire and allowed himself to make very frequent raids at north from the Danube.
Information and Contact:
Cula is located in the administrative territory of Şimian Commune:
City-Hall: phone: +40252 338 401
Route close to other Thematic Routes:
In the area you can also visit:
- Nistor’s Cula, dated from 19th century
- „St. John the Baptizer”, built in 1820 in Cerneți Village
- Șimian Island
- Cerneți Monastery, built in 1662 by Grigore Ghica
- „St. Nicholas and St. Spiridon”, in Cerneți, dated from 1794 and it was built in the shape of a two-tower ship.
- „The paleontological site Dedovița”
Other useful information:
Events in Cerneți:
- “On Tudor Vladimirescu’s Path” – at the beginning of June, an old event of over 40 years, dedicated to the memory of the 1821 revolutionary Tudor Vladimirescu.
GPS Coordinates: lat, long: 44.6613269, 22.722330899999974, elevation: 111 m