Access: from Tr. Severin on DN 67 untill Floreşti, then to DJ 670 untill Câmpu Mare and DJ 671A untill Bala Băi.
The route is marked whith an yellow spot;
Duration: about 5h;
Length: about 50 km;
Seasonality: unrecommended during the winter time şi during rainy periods;
Points of interest: Bala thermal bath; Sf. Nicolae Church, Bala de Sus; water mill, V.homului, Buseşti; wooden church from Buseşti and Runcşoru
Belvedere spots: Delanţ peak, view through Cerboane and Babele, Mehedinţi Plateau and Rudinii peak, view through Bala and V. Iupca
Bala resort it’s situated in Mehedinti county, 50 km away from Drobeta Turnu-Severin, on the road connecting Şovarna and Ilovăţ.
Nearby cities : Motru and Baia de Aramă (about 25 km).
The Bala resort has considerable reserves of mineral water and therapeutic mud being shaped by internal and external cure. The mineral springs are on the Chiciora Valley which is a small affluent of the Râieni stream.
The therapeutic mud is used to treat rheumatism, some rheumatic allergies or infections, gynaecological diseases, diseases of the peripheral nervous system, musculo- articular squeal after trauma.
Around Bala resort there are several monuments and major tourists’ area to visit: The Iron Gate Dam, the foot bridge built in the first century by Apolodor from Damasks, wild landscape of Jiu’s defile between Livezeni and Bumbesti, The Danube Gorges, Cerna’s Valley, Lainici and Tismana monasteries, etc.
NICHOLAS CHURCH FORM BALA DE JOS
The church is declared historical monument.
It belongs to Bala Parish, 50 km north Drobeta Turnu Severin and 20 km South Baia de Arama.
The year when it was built has not been agreed upon. The icon of Our savior dates back to 1882, while there are two other icons on which the names of founders have been written, along with the year 1881. The former icon represents the three hierarchs: Vasile, Grigore and Ioan:” This icon has been made by Gheorghe Gurgulescu and his wife Maria,Vasile Gurgulescu and his wife Paraschiva expense in 1881, 27 march”. The other icon represents St. Gheorghe: “This icon has been made by Gheorghe alu Ivan Zegoicea and his wife Oprita,in 1881, march 14”. Since there is also a wooden pannel which mentions that the church underwent repairs in 1882, we may conclude that it is older, the 1990 Year Book dating it back to 1862. The small church is in the graveyard and it is still used for religious services.