Thematic Route: The Cultural Heritage Route
Name of the Touristic Attraction: Severin’s Medieval Fortress
Location: in Drobeta Turnu Severin, Mehedinți County. It is located in Dragalina Park on Carol I Boulevard. It was built about 500m away from the Roman Camp and from the Bridge built by Apolodor from Damascus.
Legend/ Story/ Impressions/ Recommendations: It was built in the 13th century, on the ruins of Drobeta Fortress, in a strategic area from the military point of view. In 1233, the Hungarian King Andrew The Second turned the fortress into a citadel. Having a strategic position, the city was considered, in the Middle Ages, the most important citadel in the area. Conquering it meant the possibility of advancing to new conquests. For over three centuries, it played a special role, being a connecting link between East and West Europe. The building consisted of two enclosures, one interior and one exterior. The outside enclosure was surrounded by a ditch. The archaeological excavations revealed a series of square towers that flanked the interior enclosure. Today, the tower in the northeastern part still retains a wall of 11 m high, 9 m long and 2.5 m wide. It is believed that the city would have an underground tunnel to the Danube. Excavations have also highlighted some workshops for making materials, a bread oven and the traces of a burnt settlement. According to the historical data, the construction was built in the 19th century and was destroyed by the Turkish in 1524. In 1936, Professor Alexandru Barcăcilă, who was making archaeological excavations in the area, succeeds in restoring the fortress’ plan and at the same time recovering a rich archeological material. The excavations carried out between 2011 and 2012 have revealed pits of tombs in the fortification. In one of these had been found a coin, struck in the time of Andrew II, Hungarian king since 1205. It is supposed that the coin circulated in this space, south of the Carpathians, until around the great invasion of the Tatars in 1241. It is not the only discovery of this kind, that finds its analogy in the cultural environment of the thirteenth century. The Fortress has been part of a vast rehabilitation program that has recently ended.
Open 24 hours.
No visiting tax.
Information and Contact:
The Medieval Fortress is located on the administrative territory of Drobeta Turnu Severin:
City-Hall: phone: +4 0252-314379, website: http://www.primariadrobeta.ro
Route close to other Thematic Routes:
In the area you can also visit:
- “Roses Park” made up of hundreds of varieties of trees, shrubs and roses
- The Water Castle
- Iron Gate Hydropower Plant Museum
- “Theodor Costescu” Cultural Pallace
- The Orthodox Cathedral
Other useful information:
„Traian” Hotel, phone: +4 0252 311 760
„Continental” Hotel: phone: +40372 528 828
„Condor” Hotel: phone:+40252 311 128
„Corona” Hotel: phone: +40743 128 658, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Events in Drobeta Turnu Severin:
- Severin’s Days – 23rd April – around April 23rd, when Sf. Gheorghe, the protector of Severin, is celebrated
- Danube Day – 29th June
- National Festival of Literature “The meaning of love” – in Spring
- “Songs of Romanians from Everywhere” Festival – in October
- The Autumn National Book Fair – in October
- Excellence Awards Gala – in Autumn
GPS Coordinates: lat, long: 44.62255835, 22.65626596358493, elevation: 52 m