Vratna Monastery, Negotin – Asociaţia Pro-Mehedinţi

Vratna Monastery is situated 40 kilometers from Negotin, hidden between tall rocks near the Jabuča River, at the bottom of the famous Vratna Stone Gate. It was founded in the XIV century and a part of monastery was built in the 1415, according to the records made by Duke Serban de Sturza near Bucharest, but in time the evidence was erased, the record was then made by  Director Genadje in 1856. In 1813 the monastery was burned, and again renewed in 1817.

Today, it is an active female monastery. The Church of Vratna monastery is dedicated to the Lord’s Ascension (Spasovdan).