The Church of Saint Apostles Peter and Paul was built between 1856 and 1858 by the Serbian government that brought experts and workers from abroad to work in the reconstructed mine. In 1856, in the attempt to bind the Serbian people to Orthodoxy, began the construction of churches, schools, dwellings and mines.
The planning of the church was given to Uros Knezevic, a painter who decided on the so called „Swiss style“, popular in Europe at that time.
The church is dedicated to St. Apostles Peter and Paul, patron Saints of Majdanpek miners.