Thematic Route: The Cultural Heritage Route
Name of the Touristic Attraction: Balta Commune
Location: in Mehedinți County. Balta Commune is at a distance of 48 km from Drobeta Turnu Severin. To get to Balta Commune you can go on DJ607B towards village Şiroca, then the DJ670 towards Balta Commune.
Description: The commune is located in the south-western part of the country, in Mehedinți Plateau. Due to its location, Balta Commune is considered one of the most beautiful communes in northern Mehedinți and covers an area of 12,500 hectares. The place is sprinkled with caves, valleys, cornets, dunes and meadows. In the past, Ţâşna Valley was the delimitation area between Wallachia and Austro-Hungary. The area is a natural setting that has remained unaffected by the passage of time and by people. Thus, here you can admire: Baba Cornet, Cerboana Cornet, Ţăşna Valley, The limestone walls from Cosuşta Springs or Balta Cave. The area is easy to access, and there are tourist trails that are marked accordingly. If you arrive in Balta Village, you can admire a number of special touristic attractions, such as: The wooden house of Maria Sitaru, dating from 1910, the wooden church “St. Voivodes”, located in the cemetery of the Balta Village, dating from the eighteenth century, Ion Nicolescu’s House, dating from 1890, or Ion Stănchescu’s Wood House. Thus, here we can admire the whole Balta rural ensemble, which belongs to the XVIII- XIX centuries.
Information and Contact: Balta City Hall: tel: + 40252-388001
Route close to other thematic routes:
In the commune area you can also visit:
- “The Birth of the Mother of God” church, in Sfodea
- “The Assumption of the Virgin Mary” church, in Prejna (founded by Tudor Vladimirescu)
- “Saint Nicolas” church, in Costești
- The church of “St. Archdeacon Stefan”, in Gornovița
In the area you can also visit:
- Isverna Commune
- Godeanu Commune
Other useful information
- Treats – on all celebration days, beginning with Good Friday
- In New Year’s Eve, in the commune is a custom according to which the aspen is planted to see which moon is rainier, and in the morning, the children go to the midwives with a type of bread named ”colac”.
- – On Epiphany day, the girls put a twig of basil under their head to dream their meant to be. Most of the time, on the commune streets, children play different games left as an inheritance from the village’s elders: buzz, whip, and bustle.
- The Measurement of Sheep’s – every May
GPS coordinates: lat, long: 44.8934881, 22.634220300000038, elevation: 470 m